Today we will show you four different ways on how to clean rain gutters on a 2 story house that you should check out!
As you all know, clogged rain gutters could cause many problems and damage to your house. But still, you don’t have the budget for cleaning services or have no idea about how to perform the cleaning yourself properly.
Well, rest assured! This list has included four different methods about cleaning rain gutters on a 2 story house that will assist you from A to Z.
Let’s dive right in, shall we?
Table of Contents
- How To Clean Rain Gutters On A 2 Story House
- Tips For Maintaining Rain Gutters On A 2 story House
Gutters cleaning is not easy. Therefore, if you decided to set out for this task, some preparation would need to be done:
Gutter Cleaning Tools For A 2 Story House
Make sure you have the right tools for gutters cleaning.
The most accessible tool in your household is the shovel. You can use a plastic shovel to do the job, or a toy sand shovel can work as well. Or you can buy a gutter scoop, which is not hard to find in the hardware store.
If you are keener on recycling, you can make a gutter scoop out of a plastic milk jug or orange juice bottles.
If you want to buy proper and powerful equipment, here are some of our suggestion:
#1. GutterMaster Classic Curved Telescopic 12 Foot Extending Water Fed Pole
- The water flow control valve can be adjusted
- Foam offer comfortable grips
- Not work best for heavily clog gutters
#2. Buyplus Gutter Cleaning Tool – Roof Retractable Gutter Cleaner
- Easy to assemble
- Not really durable pole
#3. WORX WA4092 Universal Fit Blowers Gutter Cleaning Kit
- Easy to assemble
- Provide excellent water flow
- Easily customizable
- Not effective for large debris and major clogs
Ladder Using Precaution And Safety Guideline
Since it is relatively dangerous to clean rain gutters on a 2 story house, there is some safety guideline that you should follow before climbing up that high ladder:
- Check the ladder condition – the first thing is you have to make sure that the ladder works properly before you step on it.
- Choose the right position – your ladder position is also essential, it is recommended that you put your ladder at a 75-degree angle.
- Secure the ladder – you have to make sure the ladder is balanced on the ground.
- Footwear – Choose the shoes that have a tread pattern to prevent slipping
- Don’t overreach – Lastly, it is dangerous to overextend when cleaning rain gutters on a 2 story house.
How To Clean Rain Gutters On A 2 Story House
Traditional Gutter Cleaning Method
We will divide this method into five steps. Are you ready?
- Begin to clean from the middle of the gutter
- Adjust the pipe nozzle to spray in a thin and powerful stream of water – by doing this, you will be able to get rid of the hardened debris.
- Use aluminum PVC pipe to loosen stubborn debris much faster.
- After loosening all the waste, you can start washing it away in the downpipe direction using a hosepipe. (This step will be a lot easier if you start from the middle of the gutter)
- The last step of cleaning rain gutters on a 2 story house is cleaning the downpipe, which you can do by moving your ladder closer to that direction.
Pressure Power Washer Method
Don’t want to climb up that high ladder? Don’t worry, let me show you another effective method!
- First, you need to situate your power washer directly underneath the middle of your gutters. That will allow you to start cleaning from the center to the downpipe.
- Use the pole to reach the middle of the gutter
- Power the machine and start cleaning slowly and thoroughly from the middle to the downpipe.
Sky Vacuum Method
Another method that you don’t need to use the ladder. This machine will do it all for you. Let’s see how.
- Assemble the machine according to the instruction. This step should be done carefully and with patience.
- Use the telescopic pole to examine the gutter. This step will give you a better idea of what is in the gutter.
- Assemble the vacuum pole and you are ready to start cleaning. Work your way slowly from the middle to the other side until your gutters are thoroughly clean.
- Use the telescopic pole to check if there is anything left in your gutter. If there is, power on the vacuum again and go over that area until everything is spotless.
Leaf Blowers Method
We will show you how you can use leaf blowers to clean rain gutters on a 2 story house!
- Use a PVC pipe to extend your leaf blower pipe. Doing this, you will be able to reach a higher place with your leaf blower.
- Place the end of the PVC pipe in the gutter. Make sure that the end of your PVC pipe is bent a little to allow the wind from the leaf blower pointing in the gutter.
- Power on your leaf blower and start cleaning.
Tips For Maintaining Rain Gutters On A 2 story House
Rain gutters are one of the critical parts of your house’s roofing system. Without maintenance, clogged rain gutters will lead to many problems such as damaging the exterior wall to deteriorating your home’s foundation.
We will show you some of the tips you can do to avoid these problems:
- Clean your gutters regularly
- Inspect your downspouts for clogs
- Perform needed maintenance
- Install gutter guards to protect your gutters from debris
- Consider installing downspout extensions
We have just shown you four different ways on how to clean rain gutters on a two story house. Easy right? With just the right tools and a little bit of preparation, you can easily do it with no trouble!
Nevertheless, you should always pay more attention to your overall safety than the cleaning quality when doing these jobs.
We hope these top 4 best methods on how to clean rain gutters on a 2 story house will be of great help to you.